Random Gallery Image

DSC 0559

Views: 120
Posted by: Drumster
in: Drumster

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starting dilema  (Read 3115 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Yellow Dog

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7235
  • Gender: Male
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
  • Country: New Zealand
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #70 on: 15 December, 2016, 10:32:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rhead [+]
at this point, I cant keep track of the players without a score card. (or the topic) :087: All I know is that I have been using nothing but mobil 1 15-50 "car oil" year round, ytz14s's, only plugged into a tender the night before a ride, only if I haven't used the bike for 2 weeks or longer (Get 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 yrs out of them) and have never had a starting issue, down to 25f, using heated grips. socks, and jacket. 3 triumphs, 20 yrs, 350k miles, same result.  :027:

You're just lucky. That's all  :008:
Caspian Blue Tiger ABS - Micron Beta Race Exhaust - BMC Air Filter - Snorkel Out - Tune No. 20545 - BoosterPlug - Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards - Front Fender Extender - Centre Stand - LED Flashers - Tail Tidy.

Online Rhead

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4185
  • MELTING "YELLOW SNOW" FLAKES
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
  • Country: USA baby
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #71 on: 15 December, 2016, 11:03:55 PM »
yeah. That's me.  :002: Luck, and using the proper stuff.

Online smaug

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5216
  • Gender: Male
  • GRRRRRRR
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
  • Country: USA
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #72 on: 16 December, 2016, 01:53:30 AM »
Using the proper stuff when it's 25 deg f requires 4 doors a steering wheel and a heater . :027:
Learning is the greatest gift.

Offline furysamurai72

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Rochdale, MA
  • Country: USA
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #73 on: 16 December, 2016, 01:58:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by smaug [+]
Using the proper stuff when it's 25 deg f requires 4 doors a steering wheel and a heater . :027:


 :435: I totally disagree. It currently "feels like" 7deg F here and this is the first time this year that I am legitimately happy to not be on the bike.

Well, I guess I could agree with you if I had more than a 14 mile commute. That being said, I've ridden as cold as 27 degrees on my previous bike (Honda shadow, small clip on shield was the only wind protection) and I was comfortable except for my cold hands. I've got heated grips now.

Online smaug

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5216
  • Gender: Male
  • GRRRRRRR
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
  • Country: USA
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #74 on: 16 December, 2016, 01:59:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by furysamurai72 [+]


 :435: I totally disagree. It currently "feels like" 7deg F here and this is the first time this year that I am legitimately happy to not be on the bike.

Well, I guess I could agree with you if I had more than a 14 mile commute. That being said, I've ridden as cold as 27 degrees on my previous bike (Honda shadow, small clip on shield was the only wind protection) and I was comfortable except for my cold hands. I've got heated grips now.
Good for you, I spent too much of my life in the elements. Ride on and stay away from the salt trucks! My commute is about 40 miles and half deep dark back country roads and the other half city knife fight.  I ride for fun and my commute is anything but fun when it's cold.
« Last Edit: 16 December, 2016, 02:02:30 AM by smaug »
Learning is the greatest gift.

Online Yellow Dog

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7235
  • Gender: Male
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
  • Country: New Zealand
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #75 on: 16 December, 2016, 11:00:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by smaug [+]
Good for you, I spent too much of my life in the elements. Ride on and stay away from the salt trucks! My commute is about 40 miles and half deep dark back country roads and the other half city knife fight.  I ride for fun and my commute is anything but fun when it's cold.

I think you need to harden up and do your commute with an open face helmet  :190:

Completely with you there. I love to ride and if the 20 mile ride to work is not going to be any fun, I take the car too  :031: 
Caspian Blue Tiger ABS - Micron Beta Race Exhaust - BMC Air Filter - Snorkel Out - Tune No. 20545 - BoosterPlug - Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards - Front Fender Extender - Centre Stand - LED Flashers - Tail Tidy.

Online Rhead

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4185
  • MELTING "YELLOW SNOW" FLAKES
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
  • Country: USA baby
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #76 on: 16 December, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »
 :002:

Offline Daz1985

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Abertillery
  • Country: Gwent
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #77 on: 17 December, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »
well thought i would update my experience on this thread.2 days ago i fitted my race exhaust made up by longlife and she starts first time now without any tricks! it already had the cat removed,the airbox mod,k&n air filter and the 20164 map(after looking it up thats the first tor map) so maybe my issue was due to the tor map and standard can!?
and as for the weather, come rain,shine,hail or snow im on the bike! 50 mile trip to swansea at -6 the other week bit the fingers a bit, but nothing a cuppa cant solve!

Offline VABird

  • Jack-Be-Quick
  • Approved Vendor
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 156
  • Gender: Male
  • Bike/Model: 12 T-Bird,08 Tiger1050
  • City / Town: Virginia
  • Country: United States
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #78 on: 11 January, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »
Also an update to the starting issue demonstrated in the Youtube video with my identical symptoms.
After I thought I solved the problem with lighter oil, as it started regularly thereafter, the starting dilemma began to manifest itself in other ways. The fuel pump would occasionally not cycle when the key was switched on and even when it did, the starter would not engage. I thought "bad starter relay" and bought one (waited nearly 2 weeks from my local Triumph dealer).
NOT the problem. Turned out to be mild corrosion in the start & kill switch. Cleaned it up and voila!  :112:
So, SHE's back! Only problem is now, that the driveway is covered in ice! Is there a fix for that?
 

Online Yellow Dog

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7235
  • Gender: Male
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
  • Country: New Zealand
Re: Starting dilema
« Reply #79 on: 11 January, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by VABird [+]
Also an update to the starting issue demonstrated in the Youtube video with my identical symptoms.
After I thought I solved the problem with lighter oil, as it started regularly thereafter, the starting dilemma began to manifest itself in other ways. The fuel pump would occasionally not cycle when the key was switched on and even when it did, the starter would not engage. I thought "bad starter relay" and bought one (waited nearly 2 weeks from my local Triumph dealer).
NOT the problem. Turned out to be mild corrosion in the start & kill switch. Cleaned it up and voila!  :112:
So, SHE's back! Only problem is now, that the driveway is covered in ice! Is there a fix for that?

Well done that man :062:
Caspian Blue Tiger ABS - Micron Beta Race Exhaust - BMC Air Filter - Snorkel Out - Tune No. 20545 - BoosterPlug - Radiator & Oil Cooler Guards - Front Fender Extender - Centre Stand - LED Flashers - Tail Tidy.